The Role of Preventive Dentistry in Maintaining a Beautiful Smile
Attaining a beautiful smile may seem effortless, but it is far from it. Even after undergoing multiple cosmetic dental procedures in dentistry, it may not be sufficient to maintain a beautiful smile long term. Our dentists at Danforth Village Dental Care will tell you that the secret to a beautiful smile is, preventive dentistry.
What Is Preventive Dentistry?
It is any dental care procedure and protocol to help maintain a healthy mouth. Preventive dentistry in East York, Toronto, ON, entails different treatment protocols that can heighten your oral health. Dental experts recommend preventive dental measures in-office and at home.
What Does Preventive Dentistry Entail?
Various dental processes encompass preventive dentistry. The most common ones are:
- Dental cleanings – are preventive dental care services aimed at improving oral hygiene. A dentist or dental hygienist will clean your mouth periodically, usually every three to six months.
- Dental exams – are routine tests and screenings to evaluate your mouth. Exams allow the dentist to detect oral problems when they are still small and in their early stages.
- Fluoride treatment – enriches teeth enamels with fluoride, a natural mineral. The mineral strengthens teeth and heightens their resistance to bacteria and acids that cause dental cavities.
- Dental sealants – are preventive fillings that protect the chewing surfaces of molars and premolars from dental cavities. Dental sealants create a protective barrier on the chewing surfaces of teeth to disallow plaque from forming in the deep fissures and depressions.
- Habit counseling – entails abandoning poor oral habits that can damage your oral habits. Such habits can range from smoking and drinking alcohol to fingernail biting and teeth grinding.
How Does Preventive Dentistry Improve and Maintain a Beautiful Smile?
The immense benefits of preventive dental care are evident only when you consistently stick to them. Some of the ways that preventive dentistry improves smiles are:
- Boosting oral hygiene – your smile can only be beautiful if it is free of food residue, plaque, and tartar. Routine dental cleanings help you sustain a clean mouth for long.
- Maintaining white teeth – whether you bleach your teeth or not, you will not be able to keep them white without preventive dentistry. Besides, poor oral hygiene is the leading cause of teeth discoloration.
- Healthy meals – nutrition counseling is also part of preventive dental care. Eating healthily helps provide the necessary nutrients to maintain strong and healthy teeth.
- Preventing oral infections – if you pride yourself in a beautiful smile, the last thing you need is a cavity, swollen and reddened gums, or recurrent mouth sores in your mouth. Typically, these are signs linked to oral infections. Preventive dental services prioritize oral health to fight bacterial infections in your mouth.
- Early detection of problems – the key to maintaining a beautiful smile is mitigating dental problems in their early stages. Preventive dentistry allows danforth dentists to identify underlying oral conditions early when they are small and have manifested very few symptoms.
- Healthy teeth and gums – teeth and gums work together to realize a beautiful smile. When one of the two oral features has an infection, your mouth’s aesthetics and functionality are affected. Maintaining healthy gums and teeth relies heavily on preventive dental care.
- Preserving natural teeth – without preventive dental care measures, you may end up extracting one or more natural teeth prematurely. Preventive dentistry helps keep teeth strong and healthy, preserving them for a long time. Besides, preserving a healthy smile is the best way to spare yourself future expenses toward restorative treatment protocols like root canal therapy, dental implants, and dental fillings.
Who Needs Preventive Dentistry?
Usually, preventive dentistry has been popularized as a necessary facet of pediatric dentistry. Rightfully so, children need extra help caring for their oral cavities to maintain good dental health despite their high risk of dental cavities. However, preventive dentistry is not exclusive to children. Instead, adults too can benefit from most, if not all, preventive dental services.
The worth of preventive dentistry is only best appreciated by patients that have incorporated the dental protocols into their routines periodically. If you want to compete with celebrities in rocking the healthiest and prettiest smile, be more intentional about preventive oral care.